MESSAGE TO THE ESTATE

I sometimes feel like just because you aren't personally interested in an artist's work that it means the box sets their estate put out shouldn't be compared to the MJ estate's offerings. Of course if you are not interested in it. it will hold no value to you. Fact is almost every estate does it better in every way, not even talking about number of songs as I agree that's a stupid comparison point when it comes to Prince.
I’m not necessarily saying that quality comparisons shouldn’t occur, nor am I saying that the sets have no value. Of course they do! Fans just have a terrible habit of saying, “Look at how many reissues the Prince Estate does! Look at how many songs they put out! The MJ Estate should do that!” When it’s quite literally not possible. No doubt the MJ Estate is put to shame when you look at the presentation of the Prince box sets, but when the conversation becomes how many songs they’re offering or how often projects get churned out, as you said, it’s nonsensical.

Side bar: I don’t think I’d say the Prince Estate is necessarily doing it better. Faults and all, I’ve found myself more impressed with the MJ Estate’s efforts to offer unique, interesting exhibits into his discography—video games, documentaries, box sets, albums, musicals, biopics, etc. The Prince Estate hasn’t done… anything other than reissues. I just find them to be very uninspired, even if the projects they DO release are well made.

I’m not necessarily saying that quality comparisons shouldn’t occur, nor am I saying that the sets have no value. Of course they do! Fans just have a terrible habit of saying, “Look at how many reissues the Prince Estate does! Look at how many songs they put out! The MJ Estate should do that!” When it’s quite literally not possible. No doubt the MJ Estate is put to shame when you look at the presentation of the Prince box sets, but when the conversation becomes how many songs they’re offering or how often projects get churned out, as you said, it’s nonsensical.

Side bar: I don’t think I’d say the Prince Estate is necessarily doing it better. Faults and all, I’ve found myself more impressed with the MJ Estate’s efforts to offer unique, interesting exhibits into his discography—video games, documentaries, box sets, albums, musicals, biopics, etc. The Prince Estate hasn’t done… anything other than reissues. I just find them to be very uninspired, even if the projects they DO release are well made.
I definitely agree with you that expecting the same quantity of releases is pretty silly, I just wish they'd put the same effort as others do into them when they do release them, is all.

For the past ten years, they have stopped doing releases (don't mention Scream or I will cry) and focused on "more creative" projects. Why and how should I and so many others care for, judge or even appreciate a project which doesn't even reach us like the musicals?

Develop projects alongside that are accessible. Another album, a single, concerts, whatever.
A huge portion of us who come from "forgotten" parts of the world can't afford to fly to the US or Europe to watch a musical.

For me considering how long MJ was in the business his actual output and number of releases was very small.

I'm not gonna include his solo career as a child, MJ had 6 albums that I consider as 'Michael Jackson' albums (I've excluded botdf too) and that's it.

I'm not surprised that there is not much in the vault.

Prince on the other hand recorded hundreds and hundreds of songs. The quality no doubt dubious on a lot of them.

If we can't get a bloody BAD tour in HD what chance do we really have of the rest?

Quality over quantity. We know Michael was very selective in what he recorded....we have to face the fact that Michael didn't record as much as we'd like to believe.
I mean that card can't always be pulled. Even though Michael recorded less, they still have a lot of material to work with but choose not to. A proper Dangerous SDE or Deluxe Edition would be nice. It doesn't have to be as extreme and have as many discs as the Prince Estate but they could still work with it. They have enough vault tracks to fill 2 discs at least.

Dangerous

CD1: Remastered Original Album

CD2: Remixes, B-Sides & Alternate Mixes

CD3: Vault Tracks Pt 1

CD4: Vault Tracks Pt 2

CD5: Demos

CD6: Live in Bucharest 1992 (but this time they remix the whole show with the master tapes & raise and put more elements in the mix like the PE did for Live 1985)

CD7: Live in Bucharest pt 2

Blu-Ray: (any Dangerous Tour show from the highest quality tape they have in the Vault, there has to be a least one show)

*Reissuing that Pepsi "Someone Put Your Hand Out" release would be good too.

(Includes with a hardcover book with the unreleased full photos from the Herb Ritts & Sam Emerson photoshoots, Michael's handwritten notes & lyrics, photos from the tour, essays from MJ's crew, collaborators)

It can't be that hard, they have the excellent projects which I thank them for (like MJ One, MJ the Musical, and etc....), but they are missing this one piece to doing the work for the legacy. A proper set and treatment for Michael's albums. If they do that, then they could really be the "envy of all estates" as they call themselves.

NOTE: You might say well it already leaked, which is true. Not comparing but I would like to also point out that Prince had a lot of these bootlegs with the tracks on the D&P set. What they could do (like them) is source it from the masters & everything would be alright.

Last edited:
I mean that card can't always be pulled. Even though Michael recorded less, they still have a lot of material to work with but choose not to. A proper Dangerous SDE or Deluxe Edition would be nice. It doesn't have to be as extreme and have as many discs as the Prince Estate but they could still work with it. They have enough vault tracks to fill 2 discs at least.

Dangerous

CD6: Live in Bucharest 1992 (but this time they remix the whole show with the master tapes & raise and put more elements in the mix like the PE did for Live 1985)

Blu-Ray: (any Dangerous Tour show from the highest quality tape they have in the Vault, there has to be a least one show)

(Includes with a hardcover book with the unreleased full photos from the Herb Ritts & Sam Emerson photoshoots, Michael's handwritten notes & lyrics, photos from the tour, essays from MJ's crew, collaborators)

It can't be that hard, they have the excellent projects which I thank them for (like MJ One, MJ the Musical, and etc....), but they are missing this one piece to doing the work for the legacy. A proper set and treatment for Michael's albums. If they do that, then they could really be the "envy of all estates" as they call themselves.

NOTE: You might say well it already leaked, which is true. Not comparing but I would like to also point out that Prince had a lot of these bootlegs with the tracks on the D&P set. What they could do (like them) is source it from the masters & everything would be alright.

Of course not saying Michael didn’t leave behind material but we have to remember the Estate doesn’t have it. Any song(s) credited to anyone other than Michael is more than likely in the hands of that collaborator and we know his team doesn’t play well with others. The Estate has to come to an agreement with his family and collaborators if we want to get anything of substance. You can imagine the amount of Hayvenhurst demos Michael was churning out in the 70’s and 80’s and I wouldn’t be surprised if the songs are still at the house.

Sadly, he's on the road to being overlooked much like Elvis and The Beatles. It won't be long before Branca or the next in charge has to focus on collectors as the casuals won't stick around.
not on my watch.
Cross-posting - FYI

Dont bother messaging the estate bout this they wont listen

Dangerous

My DREAM of a DANGEROUS release…

from prince.org 😥

Charles F Spicer Jr. On Future Re-Releases

The new edition of Classic Pop Magazine has an article on the D&P boxset. In the article, Charles F Spicer Jr. talks about future plans:

Having assembled the exhaustive Diamonds And Pearls boxset, will
Prince's estate celebrate next year's 40th anniversary of Purple Rain? The album was expanded in 2015, but hasn't had the full deluxe treatment.
"Of course," agrees Charles F Spicer Jr.
"We'd be remiss if we didn't do something around Purple Rain next year, for both the film and the album. It's the work that elevated Prince to greatness, so we won't leave 2024 without doing justice to Purple Rain. That's a signature project."
Spicer is also determined that Prince's later albums will start to see similar deluxe treatment, explaining: "There's most certainly going to be super deluxe sets of Prince's later music. He was always creating, and there's so much music that we've got a lot of happy work on our hands to figure out how to release it all."

from prince.org 😥

The new edition of Classic Pop Magazine has an article on the D&P boxset. In the article, Charles F Spicer Jr. talks about future plans:

Prince's estate celebrate next year's 40th anniversary of Purple Rain? The album was expanded in 2015, but hasn't had the full deluxe treatment.
"We'd be remiss if we didn't do something around Purple Rain next year, for both the film and the album. It's the work that elevated Prince to greatness, so we won't leave 2024 without doing justice to Purple Rain. That's a signature project."
Spicer is also determined that Prince's later albums will start to see similar deluxe treatment, explaining: "There's most certainly going to be super deluxe sets of Prince's later music. He was always creating, and there's so much music that we've got a lot of happy work on our hands to figure out how to release it all."
I wish I was a Prince fan like I'm a MJ fan

I definitely agree with you that expecting the same quantity of releases is pretty silly, I just wish they'd put the same effort as others do into them when they do release them, is all.
Yeah, it's about mastering, the liner notes, details. They are pretty simple about these releases, and their promotions are poor too. Basic video clip shows most of the time, and one single, then it goes in a hole.

Me personally, I'm upset they've skipped over Parade and gone straight to Diamonds & Pearls. just MJ fans envy the quality, but the grass isn't that much greener. It'd be like they skipped appreciating Bad just so they can glorify Dangerous some more.

It's not hard my guy. Just listen to 3121 and then go backwards.
Very good album! I have 3 Prince albums in my collection. A greatest hits, Planet Earth, (free with a newspaper) and 3121.

Black sweat , Te Amo Corazon , The Dance are my faves from that album.

That was his 31st studio album at the time!!! No wonder his estste can release so much stuff

Very good album! I have 3 Prince albums in my collection. A greatest hits, Planet Earth, (free with a newspaper) and 3121.

Black sweat , Te Amo Corazon , The Dance are my faves from that album.

That was his 31st studio album at the time!!! No wonder his estste can release so much stuff
Art Official Age and Hit N Run Phase 2 are two great ones from his modern era as well. And Musicology. But thats more old school funk.

Art Official Age and Hit N Run Phase 2 are two great ones from his modern era as well. And Musicology. But thats more old school funk.
Prince released Xtralovable on HITnRUN Phase Two, but I'd prefer the version from 83 in good quality. Is there one?

from prince.org 😥

I haven't read this yet (bought the mag for the Sinead O'Connor tribute) but, omg, 8 pages. The front cover. Beautiful full-page ad for the box set.

I'm not comparing the Prince vault with Michael's vault. That's pointless. But, still ...

The prince estate doesn't make expensive limited releases so that every fan can afford an example like this is it 10 anniversary box €500 rip off

to the estate:
If you find the original muffled version of Behind the Mask worthy to release on Thriller, you can release everything else thats in the vault.

The Prince Estate is releasing fleshed out songs, we don’t have that luck. We’ve ran out of those.
That doesn’t excuse the completely half arsed thriller 40 release though, that was pathetic.

Back