MESSAGE TO THE ESTATE

Hot_Street

Proud Member
I'll start with news from the Prince Estate:
47 unreleased songs out on October 27

Last edited:
1st song off the D&P sde entitled "Alice Through The Looking Glass" is online

And it costs £131. The MJ estate caters to the casual fan, they'd just argue no casual fan would pay that.

Setting aside the actual packaging (which is phenomenal and far above nearly everything the MJ Estate has ever done), it still boggles my mind that some of us measure an estate’s success rate by how many overpriced box sets they release annually.

isn't there an email address to get in touch with the estate? what if we write them regularly.

maybe the estate doesn't know what the hardcore fans actually want? they are pretty clueless.

they won't read this forum I guess...

Michaels message to the estate would be:
Straighten out yourself and get your mind on track
Dust off your butt and get your self-respect back

Setting aside the actual packaging (which is phenomenal and far above nearly everything the MJ Estate has ever done), it still boggles my mind that some of us measure an estate’s success rate by how many overpriced box sets they release annually.
Prince is an unfair bar, he was recording songs on a daily basis, even while touring. Don't quote me on that, but I remember his Estate's managers saying they found something like 100 shelved albums on his locked vault (which they cracked open).

However, even by putting overpriced boxsets out every year they manage to reach a wider audience (as there are several versions of each release, not only the huge boxsets). I know you're one always talking about how "an Estate's job is not to release material, but take care of the artist's legacy", but once again I have to say that they're leaving a bunch of us behind. I can't seem to figure out how the hell a Broadway show, a Vegas residency or any celebration parties in the US or Europe affect my South American ass or even Asian fans.

I don't even question their release schedule anymore, but the fact that most of their actions focus on the US and Europe (Thriller 40 was not released in SA, for example).

Prince is an unfair bar, he was recording songs on a daily basis, even while touring. Don't quote me on that, but I remember his Estate's managers saying they found something like 100 shelved albums on his locked vault (which they cracked open).

However, even by putting overpriced boxsets out every year they manage to reach a wider audience (as there are several versions of each release, not only the huge boxsets). I know you're one always talking about how "an Estate's job is not to release material, but take care of the artist's legacy", but once again I have to say that they're leaving a bunch of us behind. I can't seem to figure out how the hell a Broadway show, a Vegas residency or any celebration parties in the US or Europe affect my South American ass or even Asian fans.

I don't even question their release schedule anymore, but the fact that most of their actions focus on the US and Europe (Thriller 40 was not released in SA, for example).
Can they reach a wider audience? Sure. Does the audience respond well? No. None of Prince’s posthumous projects have performed extraordinarily well commercially, nor have they given a bump to any of his existing albums. Even Prince fans are rather pissed at his estate for being so narrow-minded with the projects they green light.

I’m not here to defend the MJ Estate necessarily. I just find it wild that people still use the Prince Estate as any indication of anything.

47 unreleased songs from one album? Prince was a monster when it comes to recording.

I doubt Michael has anywhere near this many unreleased songs left in the vault.

Not sure what the purpose of this thread is. :confused:

Last edited:
47 unreleased songs from album? Prince was a monster when it comes to recording.

People just like to look at the Prince Estate and get mad that the MJ Estate doesn’t do what they do, even though they literally can’t.

47 unreleased songs from album? Prince was a monster when it comes to recording.

there are many billie jean demos
so many they could do a billie jean box set

People just like to look at the Prince Estate and get mad that the MJ Estate doesn’t do what they do, even though they literally can’t.
I sometimes feel like just because you aren't personally interested in an artist's work that it means the box sets their estate put out shouldn't be compared to the MJ estate's offerings. Of course if you are not interested in it. it will hold no value to you. Fact is almost every estate does it better in every way, not even talking about number of songs as I agree that's a stupid comparison point when it comes to Prince.

Not something that can be said about most of the MJ estate's releases, tbh.
Not about the estate releases, about Michaels music in general. He wasn’t a studio rat and we want to believe he has all these songs fully recorded and complete when most of the time, it’s placeholder lyrics with a full chorus. He left too many songs unfinished…..we’d never get SE package with no more than 5 or 6 songs and we gotta hope they’re in good quality

Can they reach a wider audience? Sure. Does the audience respond well? No. None of Prince’s posthumous projects have performed extraordinarily well commercially, nor have they given a bump to any of his existing albums. Even Prince fans are rather pissed at his estate for being so narrow-minded with the projects they green light.

I’m not here to defend the MJ Estate necessarily. I just find it wild that people still use the Prince Estate as any indication of anything.
I have to agree that I have seen their complaints myself (which are often quite similar to ours).
I don't see a point in having a 100% commercial focus on managing the legacy of a deceased artist. Even with their own mistakes and bad decisions, Prince's Estate makes better decisions than MJ's.
Let's face facts, MJ is almost 20 years gone. Sadly, he's on the road to being overlooked much like Elvis and The Beatles. It won't be long before Branca or the next in charge has to focus on collectors as the casuals won't stick around.

how do we make my generation become fans of Michael's? well at least my generation knows who MJ is..so he's not totally forgotten
Well, they always seem to be creating a dumb rivalry between MJ and their idols, often downplaying MJ. Take the Beyoncé fans, for instance.

Well, they always seem to be creating a dumb rivalry between MJ and their idols, often downplaying MJ. Take the Beyoncé fans, for instance.
omg there's this one 7th grader who's an Taylor Swift fan she is SO RUDE TO ME because she's like 'Taylor has more grammys than Michael and she's better than him' so I'm like 'you got your facts wrong girl because Michael won 8 Grammys in ONE night and NO ONE will beat him' then she called Michael an alien

Back