YRMW at MSG

MKTCREATE

Proud Member
I really don’t understand how this performance was so lackluster. He had two nights to get it right and other than the one cool move from the video, it was completely forgettable. They shot the video a few weeks earlier, so the amazing choreography from the end of the video would have been fresh in his mind, why didn’t they use that? Having those girls felt like such an after thought. The night would have been better off without YRMW the way it was done in my opinion. Anyone have any insights into this? Him being drugged up doesn’t make sense, coz i thought the other performances, he did well, especially the J5 part.

Michael Jackson apparently wanted to perform 'You Rock My World' in an impromptu way, rather than to use the choreography from that music video.

But, the 'The Way You Make Me Feel' performance with Britney Spears was the lowest point of those MSG shows where the on stage chemistry between her and Michael Jackson is non-existent, and that particular performance literally looks like an ordeal for Britney Spears.

I liked the performance but wasn't he under the influence during this time? Most of his energy was during the Jacksons set

The entire concert was disappointing, why single out YRMW, it was just a mediocre ending to a mediocre night. Oh well at least he did sing a bit here and there for a change.

I really don’t understand how this performance was so lackluster. He had two nights to get it right and other than the one cool move from the video, it was completely forgettable. They shot the video a few weeks earlier, so the amazing choreography from the end of the video would have been fresh in his mind, why didn’t they use that? Having those girls felt like such an after thought. The night would have been better off without YRMW the way it was done in my opinion. Anyone have any insights into this? Him being drugged up doesn’t make sense, coz i thought the other performances, he did well, especially the J5 part.

2001-era MJ wasn’t into learning new choreographies: he was only going through the motions by that point. While there was a new choreography for the video, doing it on a sound stage, where editing can hide numerous retakes, is not the same as learning it by heart and rehearsing it for a live show.

The sad part of course it that his unwillingness to rehearse a new number could still have resulted, paradoxically, into an interesting performance, IF he had sung the song live. But no choreography + lip-synching means we ended up with the worst of both worlds.

A combination of whatever procedure he had on his lip area and trying to conceal lip syncing. The area around his mouth looked very tight and red.

The above is not a man in control of his life. Addiction had consumed him. It's no wonder he wasn't at his best during these shows.

Michael Jackson apparently wanted to perform 'You Rock My World' in an impromptu way, rather than to use the choreography from that music video.

But, the 'The Way You Make Me Feel' performance with Britney Spears was the lowest point of those MSG shows where the on stage chemistry between her and Michael Jackson is non-existent, and that particular performance literally looks like an ordeal for Britney Spears.
In your opinion! That performance with Britney was 🔥 I was there, it was electric. She literally recalls this as being one of the greatest moments of her entertainment career!

The above is not a man in control of his life. Addiction had consumed him. It's no wonder he wasn't at his best during these shows.
Michael Jackson had great difficulty in walking the red carpet, let alone dance on stage during these shows.
In your opinion! That performance with Britney was 🔥 I was there, it was electric. She literally recalls this as being one of the greatest moments of her entertainment career!
Note also that the decision to have Britney Spears (for that on stage duet) was not a good idea at all for an additional reason.

At that time, she was just 20 years old, whereas Michael Jackson was in his mid 40s, so there was a huge age difference which made that on stage duet also look unrealistic and laughable.

You were there? Amazing. I saw it on TV when I was 16. Any memories or tidbits that we wouldn’t know about you can share? which night?

Exactly, I was there too, seeing Britney on stage, her face said it all, she was fangirling hard that night, sharing a stage with Michael, that atmosphere just blew the roof off. I dont know how, but I managed to get a photo of Britney with Michael, as the seats me and my friends had were at the side of the stage/

Exactly, I was there too, seeing Britney on stage, her face said it all, she was fangirling hard that night, sharing a stage with Michael, that atmosphere just blew the roof off. I dont know how, but I managed to get a photo of Britney with Michael, as the seats me and my friends had were at the side of the stage/
post the photo? would love to see that

Last edited:
post the photo
Nope.

I have 2 photo albums of photos I took from all the Michael trips. I have never put them online and I never will. I have no problem showing the albums to people in real life but I will never put my photos online. I know other fans who feel the same way , we dont like our photos being stolen and digitally altered and used by other people.

Oh we know all about people who alter the crap out of fans photos of Michael, photoshopping the original fans out and inserting themselves into photos to pretend they met Michael or were around him or at various events etc.

You were there? Amazing. I saw it on TV when I was 16. Any memories or tidbits that we wouldn’t know about you can share? which night?
Most people have at least heard about it. But Marlon Brando speech was a total downer, especially given the high expectations for the night

Most people have at least heard about it. But Marlon Brando speech was a total downer, especially given the high expectations for the night
Oh gosh that, it was so unexpected and real what the fridge moment. We were opposite where Michael was sitting so we were just watching him instead.

My favourite memories are the parts that only those who were there know about, spending time at The Palace Hotel and all the crazyness that happened there, and the afterparty at Tavern on The Green on the Friday night

There was some great amateur footage from the concert I seen on YouTube (can't find it now) I think they were German?

They filmed their entire experience and then once the lights went on at the end they casually walked backstage and seen the likes of Usher, a few of the Jacksons going in their dressing room etc

I flew from the UK without concert tickets, my first child was due 10 days later! I purchased my ticket from a tout in an alley 😆 I remember it being very unorganized with lots of breaks due to filming (I was there on the first night). I don't remember a lot to be honest.

Britney was a huge suprise, she wasn't supposed to be there due to contracts etc. Seeing Ray Charles and Whitney was a highlight for me! And Michael chaotically trying to conduct the orchestra live 😄
At that time, she was just 20 years old, whereas Michael Jackson was in his mid 40s, so there was a huge age difference which made that on stage duet also look unrealistic and laughable.
You really are just trolling now! Nobody was expected to believe they were in a relationship 😂 It was just a girl performing with her idol! It wasn't supposed to be anymore than a duet so I don't know what was unrealistic to you!

I don't see what's unrealistic about it when you consider all the 20-year-old women who dreamed of marrying him at the time.

Not sure if it was just me but despite the huge ticket prices I found the David Guest production and staging to be very cheap and amateurish looking.

Not sure if it was just me but despite the huge ticket prices I found the David Guest production and staging to be very cheap and amateurish looking.
And considering it was produced for tv even more so. I paid a ridiculous amount of money but totally worth it to at least say I’ve seen him in person

And considering it was produced for tv even more so. I paid a ridiculous amount of money but totally worth it to at least say I’ve seen him in person
Defo worth it all things considering but yeah those prices seemed nuts. I remember hearing the good seats (which included dinner) cost as much as £3000 each.

I paid £75 for this is it tickets but thought that was very good value in 09.

See at the 30th anniversary show, how long did you need to wait between acts? Is it true that people were getting restless and booing due to all the delays?

Back