Michael’s signature dance moves

He wasted nearly two minutes standing still, when he could have easily performed an extra song in those two minutes.
Oh, I don't know. I think I won't have it any other way. Michael standing still in all his fancy costume, letting the fans just feast on the view is as much part of the show as the dancing.

There is also a funny and rather embarrassing thing (in that pose) that happened to him in his 1993 Dangerous concert in Moscow.
Yeah, that was funny, though he made a very small reflex movement after that and quickly recovered. I don't know what rain had to do with it. But rain in Moscow did give us the 'sliding all over stage' dance move 💕 that he used to tell people to wipe up the stage. 😂

Although his frozen opening pose has become some sort of a signature 'dance move' for him, yet he should have avoided it in the 1993 Super Bowl Halftime performance.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I never saw Michael live but I have seen other performers start their show by just standing still and it is electric. Adam Ant used to do this in 1980. I saw James Brown do it in 1973. It remains the most mesmerising start to a gig that I've ever seen. Better than Adam in 1980 cos James held it for a lot longer. Not as long as Michael, I don't think, but long enough.

Obviously, doing it in a gig venue is massively different to doing it in a huge sports stadium. And I'm sure there were a few people in the crowd who would have been confused and / or bored with Michael's opening stance. But I still think it was a genius move. There is no reason for a performer to immediately rush into action, noise, activity. Why not challenge the audience and their expectations?

He wasted nearly two minutes standing still, when he could have easily performed an extra song in those two minutes.
I just don't see it as a waste of time. I love the audacity, the chutzpah, the challenge to convention that it takes to do something like that. I'm not saying everyone present in that crowd on that day would have loved what Michael was doing. I'm sure some people were bored, some probably hated it. But he wasn't there to warm up the crowd. He's an artist. Plus, as I understand it, he was the first really big artist to do the half-time thing. At that point there were no expectations of how he should approach it. The 'frozen stance' photo is still the most commonly used photo from that performance. I think he called it just right.

When you also consider he was also the first superstar to ever do the Super Bowl and he totally changed the game forever for half time shows, it’s also making a cool statement and sort of reinforcing how big of a deal he is. I personally love it haha

Adam Ant and Michael Jackson were apparently friends. I actually don't even know if I know this guys music.

Adam Ant and Michael Jackson were apparently friends. I actually don't even know if I know this guys music.
Adam performed at Motown 25 at Michael's invitation and then spent a day at Hayvenhurst with Michael. Also, Adam was wearing a military jacket from 1980 onwards and apparently this inspired Michael's own move towards wearing military jackets (although I'm a bit confused by that, Michael *must* have seen Jimi Hendrix rocking the military jacket thing in the late 60's). Michael was quizzing Adam as to where he got the jacket and it went from there.

Adam had two phases to his career. The punk years 1976 - 1979. And then in 1980 he turned himself into a successful pop star.

MJJ-the-thriller-era-21397332-549-800.jpg

Here he goes with that leg move ...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I never saw Michael live but I have seen other performers start their show by just standing still and it is electric. Adam Ant used to do this in 1980. I saw James Brown do it in 1973. It remains the most mesmerising start to a gig that I've ever seen. Better than Adam in 1980 cos James held it for a lot longer. Not as long as Michael, I don't think, but long enough.

Obviously, doing it in a gig venue is massively different to doing it in a huge sports stadium. And I'm sure there were a few people in the crowd who would have been confused and / or bored with Michael's opening stance. But I still think it was a genius move. There is no reason for a performer to immediately rush into action, noise, activity. Why not challenge the audience and their expectations?

I just don't see it as a waste of time. I love the audacity, the chutzpah, the challenge to convention that it takes to do something like that. I'm not saying everyone present in that crowd on that day would have loved what Michael was doing. I'm sure some people were bored, some probably hated it. But he wasn't there to warm up the crowd. He's an artist. Plus, as I understand it, he was the first really big artist to do the half-time thing. At that point there were no expectations of how he should approach it. The 'frozen stance' photo is still the most commonly used photo from that performance. I think he called it just right.
Michael Jackson should have followed the original plan set by the show's producers.

The frozen, opening pose was originally meant to last around 20 seconds, not nearly 2 minutes.

Also, his decision to stand still for so long can be considered a waste of time, especially when it comes to television advertising time.

The original plan also demanded from him new dance moves.

But he decided to play it safe by performing his classic hits in that rehashed and uninventive way.

This is MJ's show... If he wanted to stand still for the entire 15 minutes he could have done so. They can not take creative control.

It is a personal opinion whether or not 2 minutes of standing still creating a frenzy is a waste of time... - I would have prefered a song more - but I do see the effect the still-stance creates - also it gives time for children and acts to run in to the stage (if I remember correct?)

New dance moves?? - Who on earth demanded that?? How can anyone demand a new dance move by any artist??? And why would you??
When a performer is invited to perform at Superbowl, I take it for granted it is because the performer/singer is popular - that means what the person already does is popular. It seems totally unlikely that NBA would/could demand a new dance move? More unrealistic that they would do it to MJ in 1993... Makes no sense to me.

I agree MJ (as always) choose to play it safe and do the same as he usually did. - But this is a great platform, so here I think it makes sense to make a medley of greatest hits and then the new song Heal the World was a great ending with the huge tifo.

BUT - there is no facts only opinions - and this is just my opinion...

I finally understand what’s happening here with all the disagreement! We just straight up did not watch the same Super Bowl performance! 😂

At the SB he performed Jam, Black or White, Billie Jean, We are the World, and Heal the World… 3 of those 5 songs were from his most recent album at the time, so not his “classic hits” at that point (though with a 2022 eye they are certainly classic hits because Michael is awesome).

I can’t see how there was anything rehashed or uninventive about the show he put on. That comment actually makes me laugh. To this day it’s considered one of the best if not THE best Super Bowl halftime show that set the standard for everyone else. But true… SO boring to coordinate an entire audience’s involvement in the performance! SO uninspired to give a speech about turning the planet into a haven of joy, before performing Heal the World and promoting his mission instead of just himself as an artist! Ugh. How unoriginal the way it is emotionally moving and not just pure entertainment! Pathetic how expectations for every halftime show after him changed forever… 😉

Oh well. I liked it. Lol

Last edited:
The original plan also demanded from him new dance moves.
Is there proof of this? How do we know that this was the original plan? Where is that information?

I'm sure many people in the entertainment industry regarded Michael as a commodity rather than the artist that he was but this is frankly absurd, even by the standards of the 'suits'. Dance just does not work that way. You don't just turn new steps and moves on and off like a tap. So I'd be wanting to see some proof that this was indeed the agreed plan before I would believe it.

The thing about the entertainment industry is, they might be guilty of treating artists as commodities, but they also know what works and what doesn't. I'm not gonna buy into this weird claim, I can't even take it seriously.

Where's the proof?

SO boring to coordinate an entire audience’s involvement in the performance!
This bit still blows me away. Just the logistics alone, apart from the artistic effect. Everything about it is so clever and beautiful and unexpected and visually stunning. Simple (apart from the logistics, lol) but stunning. Love it.

SO uninspired to give a speech about turning the planet into a haven of joy, before performing Heal the World and promoting his mission instead of just himself as an artist! Ugh. How unoriginal the way it is emotionally moving and not just pure entertainment!
And this is the other bit that blows me away. No attempt to just make it all about him and his music. I've seen criticisms of this, people insisting he should have just focused on playing his songs. And that's a fair point. That's all some people want. But I think it's kind of awesome that he would allocate some of his time slot to trying to put out a message as well as entertain people. The fact that he shaped his performance in the way he did, the fact that he tried to make it more than just a mere half time rock show to entertain the crowd ... I think that's fabulous.

Is there proof of this? How do we know that this was the original plan? Where is that information?

I'm sure many people in the entertainment industry regarded Michael as a commodity rather than the artist that he was but this is frankly absurd, even by the standards of the 'suits'. Dance just does not work that way. You don't just turn new steps and moves on and off like a tap. So I'd be wanting to see some proof that this was indeed the agreed plan before I would believe it.

The thing about the entertainment industry is, they might be guilty of treating artists as commodities, but they also know what works and what doesn't. I'm not gonna buy into this weird claim, I can't even take it seriously.

Where's the proof?
This bit still blows me away. Just the logistics alone, apart from the artistic effect. Everything about it is so clever and beautiful and unexpected and visually stunning. Simple (apart from the logistics, lol) but stunning. Love it.

And this is the other bit that blows me away. No attempt to just make it all about him and his music. I've seen criticisms of this, people insisting he should have just focused on playing his songs. And that's a fair point. That's all some people want. But I think it's kind of awesome that he would allocate some of his time slot to trying to put out a message as well as entertain people. The fact that he shaped his performance in the way he did, the fact that he tried to make it more than just a mere half time rock show to entertain the crowd ... I think that's fabulous.
People from his camp (for example, Vincent Paterson) initially wanted from him to perform new dance moves for that show after the set list was finalized.

But Michael Jackson decided to proceed with his dance moves that the world had already been familiar with.

Also, the fact that he shaped his performance in the way he did and that he tried to make it more than just a mere half time rock show to entertain the crowd, this was not his idea.

It was actually a result of a compromise between the singer and the show's producers.

Michael Jackson when he agreed to do the show he agreed with the understanding that 'Heal The World' (performance plus message) would occupy the entire performance.

But the show's producers dismissed that apparently because it would look too saccharine and not really a memorable Super Bowl Halftime Show.

People from his camp (for example, Vincent Paterson) initially wanted from him to perform new dance moves for that show after the set list was finalized.

But Michael Jackson decided to proceed with his dance moves that the world had already been familiar with.
This is better. At least you're giving some information to support your statement.

OK, so if it's artistic disagreements between Michael and his lead choreographer, that I can understand. That stuff happens all the time. As I understand it, choreographers that he worked with would have liked him to create far more new dance content for his live shows whereas Michael preferred to stick with what was in the videos. That's what Stacey Walker seemed to be claiming in an interview that she and Travis Payne did (see what I did there?).

Is there a Vince Paterson interview you can point me to? I'd love to read (or hear) more about this and see what Vince has to say about it. I can certainly believe that Michael's creative team might have wished that he would bring in a higher percentage of new dance steps than he actually did. I'm still unconvinced that there would have been a plan that *demanded* new dance steps from him. I would still want more info regarding that.

It was actually a result of a compromise between the singer and the show's producers.

Michael Jackson when he agreed to do the show he agreed with the understanding that 'Heal The World' (performance plus message) would occupy the entire performance.

But the show's producers dismissed that apparently because it would look too saccharine and not really a memorable Super Bowl Halftime Show.
If this is true, then fine. The producers are probably right, a stand-alone Heal the World performance could easily have looked a bit lame all by itself. So both sides had to bend a little. That's all pretty normal. The artist will never get 100% of what they want but neither will the producers.

Having said all of that, maybe the producers were wrong. The Heal the World section is the most talked about part, as far as I can tell. Certainly, the photos from Superbowl, with the exception of the opening stance, are almost exclusively from the HTW part. I actually think the producers got it right. Some of the strength of HTW on that day probably came from it being part of a larger set of songs rather than an isolated thing. But, still, as far as media coverage goes (the stuff I've seen, at any rate) it seems to be all about HTW. I think that's awesome.

Last edited:

@filmandmusic posted this on Fave Videos but I'm re-posting it over here because Michael's dance performance in this is insanely good. Even by his standards. We've got James Brown foot shuffles, we've got spins, we've got all kinds of funky stuff going on. It's fabulous. 🥰

@filmandmusic always has great suggestions for J5 and Jacksons stuff to watch (I have so much to catch up on). Here's one of them from the Carol Burnett Show from 1974. The dance routine is awesome, the song is great - don't think it charted in the UK so I'm not familiar with it. At 3m 37s approx Michael does an amazing sort of side-to-side shuffle followed by one of his fabulous spins. The shuffle is over really quick but it's just so brilliant. Love it.

I am sure we have seen this, but probably not on this thread.
bad2.jpg

I see this constantly because it is the background on my phone but I still straight up GASPED when I saw this. While I totally believe this belongs in this thread, my commentary does not. It is far too depraved.

Excuse me while I go pass out somewhere.

I see this constantly because it is the background on my phone but I still straight up GASPED when I saw this. While I totally believe this belongs in this thread, my commentary does not. It is far too depraved.

Excuse me while I go pass out somewhere.
Oh that's a good choice of phone background. I have this on my desktop
in-the-closet-mj-s-robot-dance-22986576-1280-800.jpg

Back