Atheist thread

[Stupid joke mode: on] Yeah, if God exists we can't be sure if, for him Earth is a more like a city builder, a colony sim, an adventure FPS, a voxel builder, a grand strategy Excel sheets sim, a pure sandbox experimental thing, or any other kind of simulation... And maybe he got bored with it... Especially since the multiplayer mode got limited to certain countries.[/Stupid joke mode: off]
It's a game of Spore but the Spores discovered Social Media.

Yeah I thought about Spores, then thought I should get its own category, then it may fit in "any kind of simulation"...

*sigh* Just let us BELIEVE 😅🥴

I do respect you chose Atheism - please do respect my belief and religious people in general.
I do not like your aggressive posts (not saying that all are, but some were really hurtful).

Bless you 😁

*sigh* Just let us BELIEVE 😅🥴

I do respect you chose Atheism - please do respect my belief and religious people in general.
I do not like your aggressive posts (not saying that all are, but some were really hurtful).

Bless you 😁
Why do you keep whining about my atheists posts in an atheist thread??? If you don't like it, why do you keep coming back to this thread? It's not for believers, it's for atheists

Why do you keep whining about my atheists posts in an atheist thread??? If you don't like it, why do you keep coming back to this thread? It's not for believers, it's for atheists

I am just whining about your TONE.
Well, I guessed this thread would be open to everyone. I like discussions about philosophic topics. I have Atheist friends, and I am just a curious person. I am not someone who is saying Atheism is a bad thing.

But if I´m not welcome, I´ll just stop commenting. No hard feelings.

I am just whining about your TONE.
Well, I guessed this thread would be open to everyone. I like discussions about philosophic topics. I have Atheist friends, and I am just a curious person. I am not someone who is saying Atheism is a bad thing.

But if I´m not welcome, I´ll just stop commenting. No hard feelings.
I didn't say that you're not welcome, I just find it strange that you keep coming back to this thread and then complain about atheist posts in an atheist thread

Last edited:
Well, we (as Christians, for example) BELIEVE, we do not KNOW.

I often ask myself, how did the Universe begin? If there was a Big Bang, where did it come from? All that creative energy?

Do science and a "God" really contradict each other?
The thing is, you can only talk about the big bang because science told you it's a thing. So you take knowledge from science and use it to justify god in places that science hasn't rached yet.
Going to places that science currently can't explain is called "the god of the gaps". It means that any current failure of understanding nature can be interpreted by "god did it".
There were times when a solar eclipse was just as puzzling to humans as big bang is today. But when you think about it, do you even know how other, more common things, work? Do you know how magnets work? Or a microwave? How about the internet? What do you know about the structure of the atom? Can you list all four basic forces in the universe? You are asking about energy, can you tell me what energy is? What is redshift and how does it help us calculate the size of the universe? What is gravity and why do we have problems combining it with the Standard Model?
My point is, just because we, humans who only recently evolved from an ape-like ancestor, currently cannot explain something, that does not give us the right or the audacity to envoke supernatural forces behind it. You envoke god while talking about big bang. But you should also envoke god while talking about other things that you do not understand.

The thing is, you can only talk about the big bang because science told you it's a thing. So you take knowledge from science and use it to justify god in places that science hasn't rached yet.
Going to places that science currently can't explain is called "the god of the gaps". It means that any current failure of understanding nature can be interpreted by "god did it".
There were times when a solar eclipse was just as puzzling to humans as big bang is today. But when you think about it, do you even know how other, more common things, work? Do you know how magnets work? Or a microwave? How about the internet? What do you know about the structure of the atom? Can you list all four basic forces in the universe? You are asking about energy, can you tell me what energy is? What is redshift and how does it help us calculate the size of the universe? What is gravity and why do we have problems combining it with the Standard Model?
My point is, just because we, humans who only recently evolved from an ape-like ancestor, currently cannot explain something, that does not give us the right or the audacity to envoke supernatural forces behind it. You envoke god while talking about big bang. But you should also envoke god while talking about other things that you do not understand.
I'm sorry, but, I honestly don't understand ... :-(

Do you think religion and science compete? Why should they?

It is amusing that the Big Bang was taken as example in this conversation when the guy who made it a theory stated that for him: science and religion are two completely separated things... https://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/cu...osmic-horizons-book/georges-lemaitre-big-bang

Now, @SilkySnare's explanation isn't the easy to follow... Why this list where most items are actually perfectly explained? Assuming that bluemoon7 doesn't understand those?
If I understand it right, you can't associate God(s) to any observable concept because when these concepts get explained, that link is proven wrong...

Last edited:
That was an interesting read. What surprised me is that George Lemaitre wasn't a Jesuit. Those priest scientists often are. Also, his way of making peace with his religious beliefs and his scientific training is unexpected. Many religious believers tend to regard science as evidence of God's work. I really enjoyed this, thanks for posting.

"Rather he kept them entirely separate, treating them as different, parallel interpretations of the world, both of which he believed with personal conviction. Indeed, when Pope Pius XII referred to the new theory of the origin of the universe as a scientific validation of the Catholic faith, Lemaître was rather alarmed. Delicately, for that was his way, he tried to separate the two:

“As far as I can see, such a theory remains entirely outside any metaphysical or religious question. It leaves the materialist free to deny any transcendental Being… For the believer, it removes any attempt at familiarity with God… It is consonant with Isaiah speaking of the hidden God, hidden even in the beginning of the universe.”

It is amusing that the Big Bang was taken as example in this conversation when the guy who made it a theory stated that for him: science and religion are two completely separated things... https://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/cu...osmic-horizons-book/georges-lemaitre-big-bang

Now, @SilkySnare's explanation isn't the easy to follow... Why this list where most items are actually perfectly explained? Assuming that bluemoon7 doesn't understand those?
If I understand it right, you can't associate God(s) to any observable concept because when these concepts get explained, that link is proven wrong...
Thank you! Yeah, that list had me confused o_O :LOL:

Many atheists seem to think that Christian people (I can only speak for them) believe that there is a personified God who acts like an almighty person, completely seperated from the earth and all life on earth. Like a puppet master.
However, this is a very dated and conservative view.

Most modern Christians don't believe in this duality.
Its a terrifying theory that must leave anyone petrified lol.

I'm sorry, but, I honestly don't understand ... :-(

Do you think religion and science compete? Why should they?
I'm saying that just because you, or any other human, don't understand something, that does not give any of us the right to make up our own explanation. Just be humble and accept the fact that you don't understand it. Don't go around saying that your non understanding justifies your belief.
You gave an example of how you don't understand Big Bang and I gave you examples of more things that you don't understand. So where is the difference between your non understanding of Big Bang and your non understanding of the Standard Model?

I think science and religion can't compete because it would be like a professional athlete competing with a disabled baby. It's just not fair game because one is gathering data, interpreting data, making experiments, repeating experiments and most importantly...going back and rewriting textbooks when new evidence emergers. While the other is wishful thinking based on ancient scrolls written by people who didn't even know the earth was round.

But if you want, we can go along.
Science and religion are incompatible because religion emerged from our desire to explain natural processes while science actually goes out and explains them. The only thing that a modern day religion can cling on to is the morality. That's why you don't hear people say "god created clouds" because we now know how clouds are formed. But you do get people saying "Without god, how can we know right from wrong." Which to me is a lot more insane. Because you can forgive someone for not understanding something...but saying that we are good only because we fear the punishment of being bad...and that we wouldn't know right from wrong without a 2000 year old book....now THAT'S scary!

Last edited:
I'm saying that just because you, or any other human, don't understand something, that does not give any of us the right to make up our own explanation. Just be humble and accept the fact that you don't understand it. Don't go around saying that your non understanding justifies your belief.
You gave an example of how you don't understand Big Bang and I gave you examples of more things that you don't understand. So where is the difference between your non understanding of Big Bang and your non understanding of the Standard Model?

I think science and religion can't compete because it would be like a professional athlete competing with a disabled baby. It's just not fair game because one is gathering data, interpreting data, making experiments, repeating experiments and most importantly...going back and rewriting textbooks when new evidence emergers. While the other is wishful thinking based on ancient scrolls written by people who didn't even know the earth was round.

But if you want, we can go along.
Science and religion are incompatible because religion emerged from our desire to explain natural processes while science actually goes out and explains them. The only thing that a modern day religion can cling on to is the morality. That's why you don't hear people say "god created clouds" because we now know how clouds are formed. But you do get people saying "Without god, how can we know right from wrong." Which to me is a lot more insane. Because you can forgive someone for not understanding something...but saying that we are good only because we fear the punishment of being bad...and that we wouldn't know right from wrong without a 2000 year old book....now THAT'S crazy!
You are assuming things about me that I allegedly said or believe that are not true ... where did I say I didnt "understand" scientifically proven facts? I am embarrassed, but I even have a university degree in literature and cultural studies, smh.

I often ask myself, how did the Universe begin? If there was a Big Bang, where did it come from? All that creative energy?
If you often ask yourself questions about the universe, why don't you start following science Youtube channels? Why don't you start reading science articles?
I would argue that you don't actually want to know these things, you just like the fact that currently nobody can explain them which somehow gives you the right to fantasize about your own conclusions. Because if you had a genuine desire to understand universe and reality, you would be out there, learning stuff.

Last edited:
If you often ask yourself questions about the universe, why don't you start following science Youtube channels? Why don't you start reading science articles?
I would argue that you don't actually want to know these things, you just like the fact that currently nobody can explain them which somehow gives you the right to fantasize about your own conclusions. Because if you had a genuine desire to understand universe and reality, you would be out there, learning stuff.
Did you even read my replies??????

Back