Beat It live

for me the dangerous tour version beats the bad tour version and completely blows the history tour version out of the water

Must be the Victory version with Van Halen, surely?

I wish we had the Van Halen performance in HQ. Toronto version is up there too imo. I'd argue dangerous tour might be the best based on choreography/energy. The fencing he does fits the song perfectly.

My favourite Beat It performance is basically any performance before the HIStory Tour.

I'll pick out a couple because there are quite a few that I love.

Kansas (July 6th, 1984)
The first ever Beat It performance and to me the highlight of the whole Victory Tour.

Osaka (October 10th, 1987)
All 1987 performances of Beat It are awesome (except maybe Yokohama 🤫) so it's hard to pick just one but this one rocks super hard, MJ's energy is electric like nowhere else and the move he does for the breakdown is just awesome.

Los Angeles Rehearsal (May 16th, 1992) (Take 1)
Ach the vocals! I love how angrily he sings the whole song and all the swapped around and new lyrics are so awesome.

Bucharest (October 1st, 1992)
Really really really good dancing here, love the whole vibe of the instrumental and vocals too. Just super solid.

Bucharest (September 14th, 1996)
Probably my all time favourite performance, love everything about Michael here, the dancing, the demeanor, the vocals (shock-bee-bop). I just wish the sound mix was better, if that was the case I'd never watch any other performance of the song again.

Kuala Lumpur (October 27th, 1996)
Oh my God, talk about energy. He's so hyper here and he looks mad asl which just makes me love it more.

Sydney (November 14th, 1996)
Playback started out of sync so he had to just sing the whole song live here, making it the only time other than Munich 92 he sung the song fully live in it's original key. His voice is hoarse but I actually dig it, sounds rockin'.

Sydney (November 16th, 1996)
Michael has never been cooler than right here. Precise, yet effortless. How suave he is is unfortunately offset by the fact his voice is in awful condition, actually in the runnings to be the worst Beat It vocals ever, still, love the calm and cool demeanor here.

Manila (December 10th, 1996)
I mean I said he was angry in Kuala Lumpur but this is next level. He's just full of hate and it rocks at the end he legit just yells into the mic and it sounds fantastic. The guitar also glitches out a bit at the bridge but it actually sounds really neat I think.

Last edited:
Hard to say, we will probably never know. There are over 100 Bad tour concerts alone that most fans have not seen ( except the people who were in the crowd that day) and probably never will see, (unless the estate starts a collectors label or something) and that's just the Bad tour alone. Going by what's available though I would have to go with Wembley 88 and Toronto 84.

Hard to say, we will probably never know. There are over 100 Bad tour concerts alone that most fans have not seen ( except the people who were in the crowd that day) and probably never will see, (unless the estate starts a collectors label or something) and that's just the Bad tour alone. Going by what's available though I would have to go with Wembley 88 and Toronto 84.
yes!

I wish we had the Van Halen performance in HQ. Toronto version is up there too imo. I'd argue dangerous tour might be the best based on choreography/energy. The fencing he does fits the song perfectly.
I had always thought it was more of a cool karate type move but yes! now that you mentioned fencing it fits that.

I've always loved that Bucharest 92 performance.

I think Beat It had more meaning for Michael. Didn't he sometimes run away from Joseph when he was angry with him? Wasn't he trying to run away from the aging process, from adulthood?

Back