Who Was Susie?

FullLipsDotNose

Proud Member
So I've been thinking for a while who that Susie MJ referred to in some of his songs (BOTDF, Little Susie, Superfly Sister) could be. Personally, I read it as a story where a girl finds a boy who only uses her as a sex tool (Superfly Sister) although he feels she's seducive and manipulative (BOTDF). He then kills her and hardly anyone mourns her cause she was neglected by her family (Little Susie). On top of that, she died as a minor... Or could little Susie be big Susie's daughter? Big Susie as a person in BOTDF and Superfly Sister that "got [his] baby".

There's also an unreleased song Sister Sue - would be interesting to read the lyrics or hear the song.

Don't forget Heartbreak Hotel.

We came to this place
Where the vicious dwelt
Found that wicked women
(Run this strange hotel)
There was Sefra and Sue
Every girl that I knew
And my baby said love is through

Susie is the most frequent name in his songs interestingly. There are more Suzies than Billie Jeans (Billie Jean, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin') or Dianas (Dirty Diana). LOL.

So I've been thinking for a while who that Susie MJ referred to in some of his songs (BOTDF, Little Susie, Superfly Sister) could be. Personally, I read it as a story where a girl finds a boy who only uses her as a sex tool (Superfly Sister) although he feels she's seducive and manipulative (BOTDF). He then kills her and hardly anyone mourns her cause she was neglected by her family (Little Susie). On top of that, she died as a minor... Or could little Susie be big Susie's daughter? Big Susie as a person in BOTDF and Superfly Sister that "got [his] baby".

There's also an unreleased song Sister Sue - would be interesting to read the lyrics or hear the song.

I 've also always wondered about Susie.. Imagine if Susie was MJ's mistress.. Lol

That's interesting, especially if you try to make out a connection between the different songs. I never really thought about that.

Michael commonly did this on albums... use the same name exactly for that reason.. Get people asking... Who is This girl he's singing about.. ie. billie Jean for example..

Michael commonly did this on albums... use the same name exactly for that reason.. Get people asking... Who is This girl he's singing about.. ie. billie Jean for example..
Really? That's one I've never heard before. So, he was trying to pique some intrigue?
Did you hear that in an interview or from a collaborator?

I always assumed he picked up on a name he liked, and used it more than once-like he uses different words and phrases in his lyrics in different songs. I know there was a lady named Billie Jean who worked at Motown and was on Berry's staff, so I always assumed he picked up the name from her. LOL.

That's interesting, especially if you try to make out a connection between the different songs. I never really thought about that.

Me, too. I never thought of those Susies as being the same person, but it's certainly interesting to look at it that way. He had some Dianas in his life, Diana Ross, Princess Diana, so it makes me wonder if he had a Susie in his life. Could've been just a name he picked up and stuck to.

Maybe it was also easier to tell the story by using a name the listeners already know instead of introducing a new 'character'. For example, we have an imagine of what Susie is like or what type of woman she is, so when Michael says Susie in another song, we apply the same image and immediately know what he's singing about. "Little Susie" would be an exception then, but yeah, an idea that popped in my head.

Here: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/137876-Song-Connectivity

Really? That's one I've never heard before. So, he was trying to pique some intrigue?

I always assumed he picked up on a name he liked, and used it more than once-like he uses different words and phrases in his lyrics in different songs. I know there was a lady named Billie Jean who worked at Motown and was on Berry's staff, so I always assumed he picked up the name from her. LOL.

Here: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/136207-Lyrical-Self-referencing

Susie was a bit of a bitch, by all accounts. (Not poor Little Susie though)

I think Susie is just a name that fits well lyrically and it blends well into the rhythm of the songs. Michael was rhythmically driven, so this would have been important to him.

If you look at Annie, Susie and Billie.........they're all two syllable names, ending in the same sound, which requires the voice to inflect upwards at the end. This upward inflection makes it easier to run into the next word in the song.

When I was a kid, my favorite doll´s name was Susie. I really loved that doll and took her everywhere. So whenever Michael sings the name Susie, I am amused and reminded of my doll. The more so, since I do not know any person with that name. lol

Lol at this

ve9nb6.jpg

Where he gets the names that's a whole other story lol! but I know I've heard/read that he uses these names in multiple songs for that reason.. to get people talking pretty much! I'd love to site that but I can't really think of what to google to find it lol!

Tbh I thought that Susie was just another girl like Billie Jean and the the others, but what threw me off was when Susie died as a child.
Things that make you go hmmmmm.

If we believe Michael's words, the songs that mention certain names are not linked to any kind of personal experience. (as he said in Moonwalk)

Don't quote me on this, but I feel like Michael talked about this in an interview back in the late 90's? The Susie wasn't based on any actual girl, but the was a catchy two syllable name that fit well into the lyrics? Gotta try to see if I can find that lol...

See, this thread was another 'inspiration' for a Blog on #MJJCBlog.

"Susie's got your number and Susie ain't your friend.
Someone killed Little Susie, the girl with the tune.
Susie like to agitate,
Get the boy and make him wait.
There was Sefra and Sue
Every girl that I knew
And my baby said love is through

"
See, Susie is a name that frequently pops up in MJ songs.
Have you ever wondered why?
Was it to intrigue us so we would talk about this mysterious woman?
Was it just a name MJ really liked or maybe
it just blended in with the melody?
If it wasn't for little Susie, I would conclude it could be just
a 'standard' name for a type of girl that ruins your life, lol
as she ain't your friend and she likes to agitate, hmmm.

Taken from: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/blog/who-is-susie

Back