What was it like waiting for an MJ album or music video to be released.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
I'm too young to remember the excitement of knowing that the greatest entertainer the world has ever seen was going to drop an album or music video.

So for those who were there for it, and can remember what it was like, can you tell me what it was like?

I imagine that it must have been very exciting and magical. :yes:

Last edited:
cdeb1a4b63896d52c136f09610a96280418e130abb53c3e27175c3f55e60ecb9.jpg

I feel genuinely sad when I see things like this.

It was such a special time. To be honest, I became the fan I am today in late 1994 so I really only got the HIStory era to enjoy. Which was a fantastic time. But it was so different to now. You couldn't get MJ news on tap, you got it if you caught it on TV or the radio. You subscibed to fan clubs and you received newsletters every other month by post. But that was it. It wasn't daily, you didn't get all the rumours so it wasn't *so* much about anticipation. Often times you just saw the new music video one day on TV - quite often it wouldn't even be the full thing, just a clip. It was easy to take it for granted actually. I remember just turning on the TV one Friday night and the World Music Awards were on. This was the night MJ peformed Earth Song and got a ton of awards. I had no idea it was being broadcast, least of all that Michael would be there and would perform. I only saw TDCAU video the day we got satellite TV installed and it just happened to be on VH-1.

That 2 year period between 1995 and 1997 was just an amazing time to be a fan. Countless singles, videos, collectables, magazines, interviews, award shows and of course his last tour. I do have memories of both the Dangerous and Bad eras, but for me it wasn't the same level of fandom. Perhaps other fans can share their stories of then...

It was such a special time. To be honest, I became the fan I am today in late 1994 so I really only got the HIStory era to enjoy. Which was a fantastic time. But it was so different to now. You couldn't get MJ news on tap, you got it if you caught it on TV or the radio. You subscibed to fan clubs and you received newsletters every other month by post. But that was it. It wasn't daily, you didn't get all the rumours so it wasn't *so* much about anticipation. Often times you just saw the new music video one day on TV - quite often it wouldn't even be the full thing, just a clip. It was easy to take it for granted actually. I remember just turning on the TV one Friday night and the World Music Awards were on. This was the night MJ peformed Earth Song and got a ton of awards. I had no idea it was being broadcast, least of all that Michael would be there and would perform. I only saw TDCAU video the day we got satellite TV installed and it just happened to be on VH-1.

That 2 year period between 1995 and 1997 was just an amazing time to be a fan. Countless singles, videos, collectables, magazines, interviews, award shows and of course his last tour. I do have memories of both the Dangerous and Bad eras, but for me it wasn't the same level of fandom. Perhaps other fans can share their stories of then...

Thank you for sharing your memories. :)

I became a fan in 1983 during Thriller, when I was 14 years old. I remember relying heavily on television (MTV), print (newspapers/magazines), and radio to get MJ news. He was so friggin' HUGE during that time. I used to watch Entertainment Tonight every evening to see if they would mention him. :laugh: I had to run out immediately to buy The Making of Thriller on VHS. I remember the hype for the Bad album, how all of his short films for those songs would premiere on MTV, the Bad tour (Another Part of Me concert footage), when Moonwalker came out... it was certainly not like today with instant Internet news, fan boards, YouTube, and social media... there was a certain excitement and anticipation for his new stuff and physically going to a store to buy it all. I couldn't wait to see the DWT on HBO and I sat inches away from the television shaking with excitement to watch him perform. I bought History and Invincible on the day of release. I became a member of a few fan clubs and got things by snail mail... great memories, great fun. :heart:

Waiting for the Thriller debut to happen was the most excited time for me i could not wait i was clue to the Tv. Getting Michael first album as a adult was excited too i wore it out.Then i stared to get my collection going it been non stop.

Waiting for the Thriller debut to happen was the most excited time for me i could not wait i was clue to the Tv. Getting Michael first album as a adult was excited too i wore it out.Then i stared to get my collection going it been non stop.

It must have been amazing to be there for the release of the best and most iconic short film in world history.

I swear it's seems like kids are born knowing about Thriller and MJ LOL.

MTV played the Thriller short film every hour on the hour during the weekend of its premiere in '84 (If I'm remembering correctly) and yes, I watched almost every one of them. I was, and still am, completely enamored.

:girl_in_love:

Great post.

Time just seemed to move at a different pace in the pre-internet days, when it came to entertainment.

It all depend on age group and where at the time social media was...

I mean when I was a young kid I did not wait for the "next thing" I simply enjoyed what I had over and over..watching moonwalker than Legend Continues over and over.. Those days we'd watch the same thing a million times and be fine.. Later Dangerous dropped I randomly found out about it so there was no real "waiting" for it.. I just always assumed there was music out there to discover and I found it... that's the way I felt at the time.. I think I was 6 at that point.. It was not until after History and I got the internet that and waited for Blood On The Dance Floor that I could truly understand waiting for MJ stuff the way I understand now.. Invincible would have been the first full album I waited for the what is now the traditional way we know now and that I from a die hard fan since 1988/89..

Age group and era with social media really changed the anticipation for new music... It was a more patient and more appreciating time pre internet...

It all depend on age group and where at the time social media was...

I mean when I was a young kid I did not wait for the "next thing" I simply enjoyed what I had over and over..watching moonwalker than Legend Continues over and over.. Those days we'd watch the same thing a million times and be fine.. Later Dangerous dropped I randomly found out about it so there was no real "waiting" for it.. I just always assumed there was music out there to discover and I found it... that's the way I felt at the time.. I think I was 6 at that point.. It was not until after History and I got the internet that and waited for Blood On The Dance Floor that I could truly understand waiting for MJ stuff the way I understand now.. Invincible would have been the first full album I waited for the what is now the traditional way we know now and that I from a die hard fan since 1988/89..

Age group and era with social media really changed the anticipation for new music... It was a more patient and more appreciating time pre internet...

Thank you for sharing!

Back